Monday 21 June 2010

betrayal

Honestly, I'm pretty pissed off at what happened with TWEWY. Optional shit should be optional. Bonuses for hardcore play should be bonuses, not 'absolutely required in order to have the faintest clue what the game was about'. I'm sure someone's going to disagree with me on this one, but I don't think it's at all fair to come to the end of a game and have the plot pretty much thumb its nose at you and say "Oh, this game you thought you were playing? Sorry, you have to play an entirely different game in order to win." (I am especially pissy about Another Day, which seems to revolve around Tin Pin, which I cannot play for the life of me. I do not improve with practice. I could only pass the preliminaries by trying multiple times and finally managing to avoid all the opponents long enough for them to kill each other.)

Yes, I have looked at spoilers and I do know what the plot was, at least the big important parts of it. But should that really be necessary in order not to leave you feeling lost and upset right after a (physically painful, actually) long final boss battle? And since secret reports apparently have to be done in order, if you're stuck you're stuck. Instead of feeling challenged to excel (did I mention I'm still slowly collecting my 100%s on Peggle Nights?) I feel cheated.

Of course, the most important parts of the plot *could* be inferred from what was shown in the game... if it had just stopped there and there were no extra secrets. And I'm often fond of slightly confusing plots that let you figure things out. Why am I so annoyed about this one? I dunno...

Possibly I'm just in a bad mood (Well, I *know* I'm in a bad mood, but possibly that's the only reason it's bugging me so much). I never intended to go for 100% completion on the game anyway, but it's always disappointing to hit the point where you have to give up...

I'm tempted to wipe the game completely - the cart has only one save slot, so if I sit here for the next several years slowly trying to work through all the extra crap, nobody else can play!

And this for a game that, until this point, was doing so WELL at making difficulty flexible and fun...

No comments: