Friday 1 February 2008

boom!

Plumeboom is a perfect example of a casual game - it's cute and colorful and sort of fun and not very challenging (at least at first) and kind of mindless and you can just sit staring at the lights and clicking for long stretches of time without realising that you're doing it.

The ephemeral value of 'polish' is really hard to define here. The graphics are certainly shiny and colorful, but at the same time I find the potions sort of ugly. There's a definite attempt at working in a storyline, with heroes to cheer and villains to boo-hiss, but at the same time it's all utterly nonsensical. I'm a peacock with some sort of giant magic gun and I'm shooting potions onto a conveyor belt in order to stop robo-birds? Huh? And the gun also makes the game physics confusing... if these things are on a belt coming towards me, shouldn't I only be able to shoot the ones on the ends closest to me? (Yes, I'm overthinking.) Why does my peacock have a wardrobe? Does it matter if I use it? Does it matter if I never use the bonus lab? (It's easy enough to overlook it...) What are these badges I'm getting for? Why didn't I get some sort of special reward for clearing the entire level in one shot?

The world may never know.

Anyway, this falls into the category of things I'd play but I'd feel sort of bad about paying for because they're numbing my brain... shiny... click shiny... click shiny...

It may get harder as you go along, I'm not sure. It's been pretty easy so far. I'm not sure I'm going to play any more.

No comments: