Saturday 9 February 2008

english is as she wrote

From Magic Farm:

"Help a young lady to save her parents from the hands of cruel aborigines. Make exciting voyages with your new pirates and vegetarian cannibals friends."

YES BOY ICE CREAM

The game itself seems to be a vague clone of Grimm's Hatchery, with prettier graphics but much worse writing. And I didn't like Grimm's myself (too much clicking, not enough result?) so even with a free copy from Game Giveaway I can't see myself playing this.

UPDATE: Possibly more than a clone. We'll see what becomes of this...

It's not just the writing, although that really doesn't help - bits of interface (the hand cursor especially) are also a little bit off. I can occasionally look past Engrish. Emerald Tale is a cute and relaxing little puzzle game even if the text is often pointless and occasionally somewhat boggling.

I suppose that's why Magic Farm's intro story sequence is a comic with no words...

I don't know if it's just the games that they pick aren't to my taste or whether I have automatically lower expectations because I'm getting the game free, but with a lot of Game Giveaways I find I lose interest almost before reading the tutorial. Perhaps because I already 'have' the game, so there's no motivation to evaluate and possibly obtain it?

No comments: