Friday 30 July 2010

giving zynga neutrals

Apparently they're shutting down one of their facebook games with all of, like, three days warning.

And while some Street Racing fans are upset over the studio's apparent indifference, even more are complaining about losing the virtual cars and modifications they've purchased in the game with real cash.


... While my snarky side thinks it was insane for anyone to spend real money on a facebook game, ESPECIALLY one by a company KNOWN to be a bit on the slimy side, my less-evil side points out that everyone should have the right to not get ripped off, even people who spend their money on things I think are silly.

On the bright side, after the initial announcement (and probably some screaming) Zynga is offering credits to anyone who spent money on the game in the past 90 days, so not so bad.

Still and again - you don't own these games, they can be taken away from you at any time, DON'T GET INVESTED IN THEM.

Edit: Since the comment mentions that would also apply to all MMORPGs, I should say that I KNOW THAT. :)

4 comments:

Brian Kramer said...

But cloud gaming is the future! :)

Don't get invested in and enjoy WoW or any other MMO! They might take the servers down one day!

Whiner said...

You may notice that I *don't* play MMORPGs.

Brian Kramer said...

You seem to not like the thought of games as a service. The gamer inside of me feels the same, but it is absolutely the future.

Whiner said...

It's certainly part of the future, but it doesn't have to be the entire future, and I don't think most people would want it to be.

I don't think MMORPGs should cease to exist; clearly people enjoy playing them. I don't even think facebook games should cease to exist despite my complete lack of interest in them and occasional annoyance at them making more money than me. :) I do think it's important to keep pointing out the problems and to focus on the importance of supporting multiple kinds of gaming.

I also still try to talk sense into pirates, I don't give up easily!