Tuesday 22 May 2012

so I heard your DRM sucks

I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to buy Diablo 3 due to the always-online stuff, and therefore quit paying any attention to it. I've simply filtered out most discussion of the subject in the same way I ignore conversations about World of Warcraft or the latest Playstation 3 title: Not Relevant.

I'm now seeing comments in forums that despite all the security, Diablo 3 has already been hacked.

So what was the point?

(However, looking at the article I was sent, it sounds more like account theft in the WOW sense than DRM cracking. Not that this is much help to the person whose account gets stolen, rendering their paid-for game even more junk than it was to begin with.)

1 comment:

Kazriko said...

Yeah, it's more account compromises rather than hacking. The poor saps who haven't played MMOs before have no idea what they're getting into with Diablo 3...

Especially since they can sell items for real money in this one, that makes it an especially juicy target for the social engineers.

I was lukewarm on Diablo 2, and I'm not liking the idea of D3 at all, so I'm sticking to my Kingdoms of Amalur for now.